Explore Myanmar’s exotic history, mesmerizing pagodas, and iridescent rice fields and learn about this country’s democratic transition.
- Yangon: Visit Myanmar’s bustling former capital city of Yangon, which offers wide, tree-lined boulevards, shimmering Buddhist stupas, and British colonial architecture. Formerly known as Rangoon, Yangon was renowned as the “Queen of the East.” Visit the Shwedagon Golden Pagoda, a 2,500 year-old Buddhist shrine with a golden stupa that can be seen from all over the city.
- Mandalay: Explore the country’s current artistic center and Myanmar’s capital before its British annexation. Visit the ruins of the original Mandalay Palace at Shwenandaw Monastery, and stop at Kuthodaw Pagoda to see the “world’s largest book,” a collection of 759 white marble slabs engraved with Buddhist scriptures.
- Ayeyarwaddy River: Cruise this historic river and witness the slower pace of river village life.
- Bagan: Wander through Bagan, home to over two thousand ancient Buddhist temples, or embark on a hot air balloon ride over this magical place, known as the Plain of Temples.
- Inle Lake: Set out by long-tail boat and see beautiful landscapes, monasteries on stilts, and floating gardens. Visit a local floating market and watch the people of nearby hill tribes barter wearing traditional brightly colored textiles.
Best Time to Travel
For the best weather conditions, we recommend traveling to Myanmar during the months of November to February.
Let us customize your trip to Myanmar. Start with a sample itinerary below or work with one of our experienced Trip Specialists to design a completely unique program. Many travelers enjoy combining Myanmar with other destinations in the region such as Thailand .